Friday, July 24, 2009

What a Week

I can't believe my time here in Haiti is already coming to a close. I leave this upcoming thursday and the idea is very bitter sweet. I am excited to return home to share my stories with my family and friends but am dreading saying goodbye to the kids here at the orphanage. I have become quite attached to all my kids and will miss them all every day. I know that upon returning to the states not a day will pass that I dont think about the kids here and the experiences I have had.
This week I got to experience a bit of what we all here call the Haitian happiness, being sick. I was sick for a full day on wednesday but am slowly starting to feel normal again. I sent my mom an email and told her that even being as sick as I got that day I would repeat this trip in a heartbeat. The few days of not feeling well were nothing in comparison to the things the kids here have endured.
Tonight was the big basketball game. 4 of the staff members played a game of basketball in the driveway of the main house. all the babies lined up on their balcony to watch the game and the volunteers and some of the staff sat in the driveway to watch the game. I brought down one of my kids to sit on my lap and watch the game. It was a lot of fun. All went smooth until one of the babies on the balcony wasnt wearing a diaper and peed off the edge of the balcony and straight down my back. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation. Only I would be perfectly situated for something like that. :)
This weekend is a work weekend which means we will be here at the main house tomorrow for a half day of work working with the babies who do not currently have volunteers. I enjoy the work weekends because it gives me the opportunity to bond with other kids. After this weekend I will only have 3 days left with my kids. It has come so fast.
Thank you all again for making this experience of a lifetime a possibility for me. I miss you all and love you all so much! I am excited to return and share even more stories and pictures with all of you!

3 comments:

  1. I know it is going to be hard to say goodbye, but you have done such a good thing by spending this time with the kids. They are lucky to have had you, and I know you will have them in your heart forever. I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laila,

    I am so proud of you. The kids are so sweet, it just wants to make you to reach out and hug those cute babies. Take care!
    Love you,
    Aunt Candy

    ReplyDelete