Monday, July 20, 2009

The Perfect Weekend!

What a great weekend! This weekend was an outing weekend so on Saturday all of us volunteers got up and cleaned our house then got ready to go out. We went to this place called the lookout that overlooks all of Port-au-Prince and the ocean. The third picture shows the view but even the photo doesn't do it justice. The had a few people selling different things there such as wood carvings and paintings so I got a few things to bring home to remember my trip.
After we were all done there we headed to the mission. The mission was essentially a small road of stands where people were selling more things similar to the lookout and there was a small restaurant deli and a bakery. There we ate lunch and did some more shopping. After that we headed off to the grocery store. The vanilla in Haiti is supposed to be incredible and far more inexpensive than in the states so I picked up a few bottles of that to bring home! I also got ice cream bars for all of us volunteers to have in the freezer. They are great because the house is always so hot and after a long day outside with the kids those are just what you need! That was basically my Saturday it was a great day.
Sunday we got up and got ready for church. We went to an American couple's house. They now live in Haiti and have a home church every sunday that all of us from GLA attend. After that we all came down to the main house for lunch together. After lunch I went into the nursery to say hi to my kids and then I changed for a hike with the other volunteers. We left from the main house and hiked to the local waterfall. It was about an hour hike so not too far. The waterfall was beautiful. the first picture is from there. A few of us continued up the fall and literally had to rock climb up a straight up and down wall to do so. It was a little scary but definitely well worth it! The only way to get back down however was to go down the waterfall you see in the picture. That part was scary but I made it! We then walked back to the house and watched a movie then it was off to bed by 10. Today I am excited for a new day and to see my kids again. The weekend was great to relax and be ready to work with the kids again but I definitely missed seeing them.
The other pictures are of the kids, one from bath time, the second picture I put up because this is one of the first times I have had her really laughing, it was a big milestone for us!
I hope everyone is doing well back home I miss you all so much! I hope you enjoy my pictures and stories and I look forward to sharing more when I get home. My last picture count I want to say I was right about 300 pictures so these are just a few so you know what I am up to but I cant wait to show you all all of my pictures!















2 comments:

  1. Laila,
    I am so happy for you to be having the experiences that you are having. It is almost like being a mom and having the thrill of seeing a first step or wave or hearing a first laugh. You will hold those moments in your heart forever! I am glad to hear that you got to go out and see some of the countryside as well. It just sounds incredible and I can't wait to hear the whole story when you get home. I love you and miss you like crazy!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laila,
    What a beautiful place. The children look adorable. I heard from your dad that you are not feeling well, today. I hope you are feeling better soon and enjoy the rest of your stay with these lovely children. We cannot wait to see you.
    Love,
    Junjun

    ReplyDelete